Monday, November 15, 2010

A good idea if I may say so myself

So I’ve decided to keep doing something that I kind of started when I went to Indonesia earlier this year. It’s a way to make sure that I get an even deeper taste of the culture of the countries I’m going to, since it’s true that I am kind of sticking to the tourist track in most of the places I’m going (not that that means there are loads of tourists on this track to begin with). I’m going to read books either set in or written about the country I’m in, as well as a few for general reading about travel and Southeast Asia.

Frankly, I think this is going to be incredible. It started in Indonesia when I read “Map of the Invisible World” by Tash Aw. It’s set during the upheaval of the country’s bid for independence from the Dutch and is a really interesting depiction of the views of native Indonesians as well as whites who “feel” Indonesian and actually support independence, too. It gave me a really interesting perspective on what’s led to the current events in Indonesia (which aren’t great, with Merapi exploding, tsunamis smashing into Sumatra, the government being accused of corruption, religious fanaticism, etc. Sorry, Obama, but I don’t think Indonesia is a model for all Muslim countries to follow).

So here’s my reading list for this trip (nearly all of them have been downloaded to my laptop because I have Kindle for PC—hooray for technology!):

General:

Holidays in Hell: In Which Our Intrepid Reporter Travels to the World's Worst Places and asks "What's funny about this?" by PJ O'Rourke (for when I need some humor)

Travel Writing 1700-1830: An Anthology

A Tramp Abroad and Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain (not sure which one I fit into...)

Recommended: Book Lust to Go by Nancy Pearl--the go to lady for what to read, just wish I could download it

General SEA:

All About Coffee by William Ukers

Piracy, Turtles and Flying Foxes by William Dampier

Malaysia:

Evening is the Whole Day by Preeta Samarasan

Recommended: Harmony Silk Factory by Tash Aw (enjoyed his book about Indonesia: Map of the Invisible World) **Debating: it's pricey to download

Malaysia and Australia:


A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

Australia:

True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey (because in Australia you MUST read Peter Carey and about Ned Kelly)

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (I would guess it's given out at the airport, but downloaded it just in case)

English Passengers by Matthew Kneale (for Tasmania)

Australian Legendary Tales by K. Parker

Recommended: Eucalyptus and the Songlines, as well as Death of a River Guide (for Tasmania)

Indonesia:

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

Max Havelaar by Multatuli (expose from a Dutch East India Co officer)

Krakatoa: Day the World Exploded by Simon Winchester (have to buy it somewhere)

Gold and Fishes by Donna Carrick

Borneo:

The Airmen and the Headhunters by Judith Heimann

Almayer's Folly by Joseph Conrad

Singapore:

King Rat by James Clavell (Rat--the other white meat)

(Was going to read West From Singapore by Louis L'Amour, but Amazon's summary just sounded too ridiculous)

Philippines:

Found in the Philippines: A Woman's Letters by Charles king

Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not) by Jose Rizal

Recommended: When the Elephants Dance by Tess Holthe

Laos/Cambodia:

The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill (a mystery set in Laos)

The King's Last Song by Geoff Ryman

Jungle Girl by Edgar Burroughs (Cambodia's female Tarzan!)

Recommended: When Broken Glass Floats--Growing up Under the Khmer Rouge

Vietnam:

The Quiet American by Graham Greene (you have to read it in Vietnam!!

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (already read Going After Cacciato)

Thailand:

Tuk Tuk To the Road by Jo Huxster (2 girls go across the world in a tuk tuk--love it)

The King and I by Anna Leonowens (duh)

Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap (short stories)

For the flight home:

American Notes by Charles Dickens

English Writers on America by Washington Irving (he sticks it to the hacks in Britain in the 1800s making America look bad--fitting for today as well?)

0 comments:

Post a Comment